The Floating Heads (12.03.04)

We don't have a dishwasher. We don't have a lot of things. Especially things that are at all modern or whatever. It's like they have a thing against anything that might cost a little money, or make life easier. What it seems like is they just hate rich people so much that they hate anything they might even remotely have. Me, I would like a dishwasher. But then I would like out of this whole stupid haunted house, anyway.

It really might be haunted, too. When we moved in here, the house was full to the ceiling (seriously) of the old owner's stuff. The house is over a hundred years old, and I guess Ida and Otto Fisher lived here the whole time, or at least most of it. Ida was about a hundred when she died, and we moved in here after that. My grandpa took care of her, so I guess there just wasn't anybody who wanted to go through Ida's stuff. Weird. To have lived that long and there's nobody on the planet who is interested in your stuff. I mean, this is not just a few boxes of momentos or something. Honestly the whole house was piled to the ceiling wtih stuff. In the dining room, in the living room, in the front room (which didn't even have a path to get through like the other rooms did), in the updstairs bedrooms, and in the basements. Furniture, pictures, I don't even know what all. But my point here is that there was this one picture of a seance. The floating head picture. There was Ida, like sitting in a chair or something. And then all around her head---in this house, in the dining room, that's where she was sitting in the picture---all around her head are these floating heads. People. They were human faces floating around up above her head. Maybe around seven of them, I think. It was not a recent picture. Ida still looked old in it, but she was old for like the last 50 years. The picture was really old fashioned looking, though, which was partly how we could tell it wasn't a fake. Like, they didn't have that kind of trick photography back then, even. It was old, man. Idea was wearing some kind of drab old dress with like an apron over it. How did those heads get up there? We didn't find out until later that she used to do seances, so that explained a lot. It sort of made it both less creepy and way, way more creepy to know that. So I guess how a seance works, those were spirits of dead people floating around her. Their heads. I don't know how they photographed it or anything. Like, did the spirits pose for the picture? That seems pretty weird, I gotta say. But who knows. I don't know anything much except that that was one scary ass picture.

My mom threw it out. When she got "born again" in the Christian way, a lot of things like that started happening. The picture got thrown out because apparently it is a sin (or at least not a good thing, I'm not sure about the actual sin part) to try to contact spirits. Says so in the bible, but don't ask my mom where, because she probably won't remember which part of the bible. It is good enough for her that her pastor or prayer group or whoever clued her in. My dad, is the exact opposite; there is no way to convince him of anything without evidence, which he can still prove wrong most of the time. But my mom and stepdad, different story. My stepdad pretty much goes along with anything, especially this whole elevation to superhero and dictator that my mom is shoving him to via the new religion.

Let's back up. I can't imagine that me telling you what motivates the machinery of that asshole is a very good idea, because he's an idiot. I can tell you the outsides of it.
8**